Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith Author of "Set Free to Live Free"


1. What motivated you to become a writer?
I've always loved reading and for me writing is a natural extension of that love. My writings began with my own personal journals. I never thought I would ever pursue publication, but a few precious women helped change my mind. One was a patient who presented to my office during a particularly busy day. I just did not have the time to spend with her that I desired. That night I thought, "I wish I had something I could have given her that shared my heart on her issues." From that I started putting together ideas for handouts to use at the office and it just escalated from there into a book.
2. In Set Free to Live Free, you address not only patient’s physical issues but also their emotional and spiritual ones. To be able to give this type of guidance it seems like you would need longer than normal appointments with your patients. How much time do you set aside for appointments?
My office operates like most medical offices in that appointments are set at 15-30 minute intervals depending on the type of appointment. Every patient visit does not have the dynamics of those discussed in the book. There are quick visits for acute issues as well as longer visits where I manage chronic medical issues for my patients. During all visits I pay attention to the non-verbal language of my patients. I ask pointed questions based on my observations and see if a patient is ready to discuss further those areas. Some will be receptive leading to an extended visit and some will still have their personal walls up cutting our time short. So for every visit that goes over 10 minutes there is usually a corresponding visit that will be under the allotted time. It all just seems to work out in the end.
3. Was there a section or chapter of Set Free to Live Free that was more difficult for you to write? If so, why?
The section on balance (chapters 9 and 10) was definitely the most difficult for me to write. Balance is an area I am still working through myself, so it was as if I had to take a dose of my own medicine with each word. A much needed dose I must add. I think learning how to balance family and career is one of the hardest things a working mom faces. When I finally got to the point of writing Chapter 10 I had a hard time wording what I was feeling. So instead of just talking about what I was feeling I began that chapter actually describing the feelings as an analogy. Sharing your raw emotions has a healing quality of its own. It began as the hardest chapter to write and ended as the one that gave me the most joy and peace.
4. There are many practical responses recommended in Set Free to Live Free. Do you recommend women go through the book on their own, join a study group, or go to a counselor for help in implementing the principles on a deeper level?
It really depends on the woman. I've had women come to me that have such a difficult time with self-disclosure that they would do best beginning the process alone (or one on one with a counselor) and then branch out to a group setting. I love small groups and I wrote the book with small groups in mind. It's beneficial to be with other women who are going through similar issues. You can build each other up and support each other. I would love to see little Diamond Societies popping up all over with women bound together in God's love and a shared journey to living free.
5. What’s next for your writing pursuits?
That's a great question but I don't have an answer for it! I do not currently have any other books penned. Of course I have some ideas and other areas I feel strongly about, but Set Free to Live Free is the book which discusses the issue I'm most passionate about: women living a flourishing and fulfilled life in Christ. For now I'm just thankful for the opportunity to share it with others and elaborate on applying it’s principles through online webinar bible studies and e-newsletter devotionals.
~You can download the entire first chapter of Set Free to Live Free at
Special Christmas Devotional Series based on Set Free to Live Free
I want to invite you to join me in creating a new holiday tradition - unwrapping the gift of you each day during the 12 days of Christmas. During these 12 days you will receive an original email devotional based on the principles in Set Free to Live Free: Breaking Through the 7 Lies Women Tell Themselves. You will uncover new truths about who you are in Christ and the gift He has deposited inside of you. We will work together through scripture passages and reflect on the truth it sheds on your value. In addition to unwrapping the gift of you, a wonderful group of authors, life coaches, health coaches and nutritionists have teamed up to offer special gifts ($15-100 gift cards, books, CD’s, coaching packages, and more) to those participating in these 12 days! Sign-up at: http://bit.ly/Unwrap
~You can download the entire first chapter of Set Free to Live Free at
www.setfreetolivefreebook.com ~
Author Bio

Saundra Dalton-Smith MD is a board-certified internal medicine physician who has been practicing medicine since 1999. She treats a predominantly female population and has firsthand experience with the struggles women face trying to imitate the American dream. Dr. Dalton-Smith has been an adjunct faculty member at Baker College and Davenport University in Michigan. She teaches courses on health, nutrition, and disease progression. Dr. Dalton-Smith has offered health care from 2002-2007 through the National Health Service Corp. She lives in Alabama with her husband and two boys. She is a committed Christian and passionate about helping others experience freedom in Christ.
About the Book
Imagine life with unlimited possibility, where fear, misconceptions, and insecurities don't have the power to rob us of our potential or our dreams. Many women have trouble seeing this vision because they are bound by mental ties that keep them from living free.
In Set Free to Live Free, Saundra Dalton-Smith shows women how to break free from seven mental ties that hold them back, including striving for perfection, comparing themselves to others, all-or-nothing attitudes, and more. Through case studies and inspirational writing, she encourages women to embrace spontaneity, be transparent, nurture their bodies, and cultivate a balanced life.
Endorsements
"Finally a book that brings to light the lies that women have been fed since childhood--and how to break their emotional grip on our lives forever. Saundra Dalton-Smith shows us just how precious we are to God, and how we can live empowered and drama-free lives."--Carol M. Mackey, author of the bestselling Sistergirl Devotions: Keeping Jesus in the Mix on the Job
"The God part of our brain is powerful. Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith has captured the role of Spirit in the healing process with clarity and love in her book Set Free to Live Free."--Jane I. Honikman, MS, founder of Postpartum Support International
What readers are saying about Set Free to Live Free …
“Set Free To Live Free, is a book every woman should read. Better yet, read it with your daughters. Oh, the lies we tell ourselves!” –Robin
“Free to be my personal best, to not compare myself to others but to be the best unique me that God created me to be...what a wonderful freeing message.” –R Kay
“There are other books that discuss lies that women tell themselves. Did we need another one? I did. Even if you think you have heard it all before, I would encourage you to read Set Free to Live Free. I’ve taken seven pages of notes and made liberal use of a yellow highlighter.”- Patricia
“Wow, what a powerful book! This might be the best book I've read all year!” –Lori

Book Review

"Dr. Sandra Dalton-Smith has written a book that identifies with the lies women have embraced for years. Her book offers an alternative to living a better life, a life in which God desires for all women. Once we are able to identify the subtle lies of the enemy, we then can learn how to conquer, overcome and maneuver our way through life without the excessive baggage and the healing process will begin. A great resource guide to remind us that living free is our choice."


1 comment:

Bernard said...

Great interview Paulette. Saundra has an interesting book and I know that it is going to succeed in reaching women all over the world.