Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christ His Gift to You: A gift worth opening

This article appeared in Urban Christian Fiction Blog

NOW WHEN Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men [astrologers] from the east came to Jerusalem, asking,
Where is He Who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the east at its rising and have come to worship Him.


And on going into the house, they saw the Child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshiped Him. Then opening their treasure bags, they presented to Him gifts--gold and frankincense and myrrh.

Matthew 10:1, 2, 11 Amplified
No one can out beat God on giving. No matter how much money you possess, you can not give more than the Lord. We are approaching another Holy season in which many of us have had to revaluate what the true meaning of Christmas is. When I was a child growing up I loved Christmas and still do. Even though I received all those wonderful gifts I never asked my mother why I didn’t give a gift to God since it was suppose to be his birthday. For weeks leading up to Christmas I couldn’t wait to see all those gifts under my tree.


Just like all kids I would go and snoop for the gifts that had my name on them; shake the box and try to guest which one of the ten things I had asked for was inside. How excited I was. Oh I couldn’t wait. The closer it got to Christmas the more excitement built up within my heart. All I knew it was a time for me to receive.

I didn’t really understand the true meaning of Christmas until I was much older. Christmas is a time for giving but we must understand it is not about us giving to each other but giving to God the one who gave the ultimate gift of His son Jesus Christ.
Inside God’s gift, so indescribable I can only give you bits and pieces to what this gift actually entails.


When Christ is presented to us we only think of Him saving us from our sins but that is just a prelude to all He has provided for us. The Greek word for salvation is “Soteria” which is translated rescue, safety, deliver, health, saving, to save. When I accepted the gift that God had presented to me I accepted the benefits that come alone with the package. Not only can He save me from my sins but He provides deliverance, healing, forgiveness, wholeness, peace, joy, mercy and grace.

If God has given us such a wonderful gift what on earth can we give back to Him? Believe it or not God wants you! Just like God presented Christ to the world, you can present yourself to God. He doesn’t want your good works but He does want your heart.
When you give your heart to God, what you are presenting to Him is your very life. God gave us His best by sending Christ to die for the world, so this season do something you haven’t done before, give yourself to God and God will give you a life worth living.


Instead of giving gifts that will tarnish and get old, present to your family, friends and loved one the greatest gift of all and that is Jesus. Just as excited I was when I was a child to get all those gifts, I’m even more excited today about sharing the gift of Salvation with the world.

Many Blessings,

No comments: